Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Roasted Chicken and Avocado Salad

Tonight the hubby will enjoy a roasted chicken and avocado salad.  Since it rained here yesterday and cooled everything down I roasted the chicken in the oven.  I love roasted chicken.  I love how it smells while cooking and I love the first bite right after it comes out of the oven.  I will even admit to eating a bite of chicken with the crispy, crunchy skin as soon as it is done.  For the chicken I used bone-in chicken breast with the skin on.  Let's face it chicken just tastes better when it's cooked with the bone and skin.  I seasoned the chicken with a little salt and lemon pepper and then added slices of lemon and red onion to the pan. Here's a look before it's cooked:


I then roasted the chicken at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.  I forgot to take a picture when the chicken came out of the oven, but here it is after I took it off the bone.


Here's a little side note: Don't throw away the bones!  Put them in a large pot, throw in whatever veggies you have on hand (I had onions and carrots), pour in the pan drippings from the chicken and then fill the pot with water.  Let it simmer for a couple of hours and you have homemade chicken stock!  Here's my pot:


Let the chicken stock cool and then either store it in the fridge or freezer. Homemade chicken stock is the best.  Okay, on to the salad.  Here's what you need to make the salad:


Dice the avocado and chicken and put them in a separate bowl.  Then, make the dressing.  I was making a single serving so I used a couple of tablespoons of mayo, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and a couple of dashes of cayenne pepper.  Mix those together and pour over the chicken and avocado.  Then place a scoop over some mixed greens and it's done.  Here's the finished salad that the hubby took to work:


No comments: