Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Salad Fusion

My husband loves fried chicken. I think I've made real fried chicken once since we've been married. Fried chicken also doesn't fit in with our summer of salads theme.  But, I came across a salad in Martha Stewart Living the other day; it was a Fried Chicken with Puntarelle Salad. (In case you're wondering, Puntarelle is a bitter green.) I had also seen this salad over on The Tasty Kitchen blog http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/salads/warm-roasted-potato-salad/.  So, I started thinking. Maybe I should mix the two since the hubby always likes to have a little meat with everything. And today that's what I did. 

First, the yummy roasted vegetables. I roasted them about 7am this morning since it was going to be close to 100 degrees today and using the oven tends to heat up the entire house.


Chop up the veggies, toss them with some olive oil, a little salt and pepper and throw them on a sheet pan. Roast them at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, tossing them about half way through.  I love the smell of roasting vegetables!  And here's what they look like when they are done.
After I roasted the vegetables I pan fried some chicken tenders. You can use whatever breading method you want. I dipped the tenders in a buttermilk and egg mixture then dredged them in flour. After I coated the tenders I pan fried them in about a 1/2 inch of canola oil for about 3 minutes each side over medium high heat.
They turned out pretty darn good!


To put the salad together you simply toss the roasted vegetable with either arugula or a spring mix of lettuces. I drizzled about 2 tablespoons of my agave-dijon dressing over the salad and topped it off with the chicken tenders. 



No comments: